I've written several essays as an undergraduate reading sociology at the University of Nottingham between 2001 and 2004. I was particularly interested in the relationship between technology and society.
Below are links to most of my essays (note: many of them are a bit rubbish!).
- No Jobs & No Oil: the unsustainability of full employment and cheap energy - My undergraduate dissertation in Sociology
My Favourite Essays
- A basic income scheme due to technological unemployment
- The Internet as an approximation of Habermas' public sphere
- The BBC license fee
- Capitalism and consumption, exploitation and exclusion
- Environmental movements
- Marx: alienation vs. materialism
And The Rest...
- A Critical Analysis of Sullivan's 'Cultural Capital and Educational Attainment'
- Is Globalisation a Myth or a Fact?
- Discuss The Advantages And Disadvantages Of A Housing System Where Home Ownership Is The Dominant Form Of Tenure
- 'Old ways of being a man are no longer possible or aceptable and this gives rise to uncertainties and insecurity' (Nickie Charles). Analyse with respect to the topic of gender and work.
- What kind of 'work' has traditionally preoccupied Marxist theorists and why?
- 'New Forms of Management Effectively Solve the Problems of the Organisation' Critically evaluate this statement
- Qualitative Methods Project Proposal
- Can sociologists study society in the same way that scientists study the natural world?
- What is distinctive about a sociological approach to understanding contemporary British society?
- 'Television the drug of nation, breeding ignorance and feeding radiation' Discuss
- 'The term 'underclass' refers to those who, in their behaviour and attitudes, have cut themselves off from, and so represent a threat to, normal society' Discuss
- Is Youth Culture Apathetic Towards the Modern Political Process?